Saturday, June 29, 2013

JOY

Day after day, it seems there are trials that sneak into our lives, putting a damper on the day. Though my trials seem insignificant in comparison to some, I’ve seen death, unemployment, failed relationships, sickness, and abuse hit too close to home. Finding joy amidst trials is often the last emotion we expect.

Recognizing and understanding that a trial is “sent by God and serving to test or prove one’s character, faith, holiness” gives a different perspective to the “why me?” question. Per the Scripture, trials produce steadfastness, which is defined as “a patient enduring, sustaining, perseverance.” Upon understanding these two words, the trials we endure begin to take on additional meaning as related to the purpose we are each uniquely given by God.

Through trials in my life, I have learned to be steadfast and to realize that there is still joy in the everyday, that I can and will endure, and that my character will reflect Jesus more than it did before the trial if I am obedient. Ultimately, no matter the circumstance, we are instructed to continue to reflect the joy of Christ. My prayer is that no matter how big or small a trial comes across our path, we would seek comfort in Jesus alone and reflect the joy He alone can give.

Prayer: Father, give us your joy and peace even in difficult circumstances. Thank you for your promise to be with us always, and help us remember your presence during times of trial. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment